“Every year more than 500,000 tonnes of food is wasted in restaurants, pubs, hotels and quick service restaurants in the UK – that’s the equivalent of almost 1 billion average plates of food.”
This sobering fact sourced from Wrap, if nothing else, must make you see how food waste affects your businesses key objective – improving the bottom line a.k.a increasing profit.
Without profit, there is no business so here are 5 simple steps to achieving the golden nugget – a cost-effective way to recycle food waste.
Aside from reducing costs, solving the food waste problem provides added benefits:
- Helps you achieve your goals.
- Improves efficiency
- Helps your business to be sustainable
- Reduces waste collection costs
- Improves your brand image and CSR.
5 steps to achieving cost-effective food waste recycling
- Sort – Eliminate barriers to effective food recycling. Provide your customers/employees ways to segregate food waste from general waste (remember, collection costs general waste costs more).
- Set In Order – Recycle your standard individual bins that look cluttered and install a bespoke recycling station or system – widely adopted by major UK brands.
- Shine – Maintain the momentum by keeping the recycling area clean and regularly inspect. Bring back pride to your staff canteen!
- Standardise – Adopt the standard WRAP symbols for all waste types, this not only helps make the process easy when at work but also helps educate better recycling habits when at work, rest and play.
- Sustain – Keep promoting, keep celebrating success. Some businesses we work with adopt Recycling Champions amongst your work-force to keep driving home the benefits of reducing food waste.